Here is my way of sharing with all of you the journey I am embarking on in South Africa! None of it would have been possible without the love and support of so many family and friends. I thank you a million times over for making this dream a reality, being a vital part of this chapter of my life and hope you enjoy reading all about this incredible adventure. I carry a little piece of each of you in my heart on this journey of a lifetime!!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

IsiXhosa Crash Course Completed!

Today was another great day at Namzamo!  The kids were in a great mood and I was lucky enough to be puked on within the first 5 minutes of being there because one of the little girls got so excited after she ate breakfast.  Good times!  I helped feed the children and toddlers and then spent the morning outside playing with the children.  It’s been really neat to see how much one of the little girls has opened up since arriving.  At first she was very shy, introverted and had a difficult time eating but in the last few weeks has begun to smile, laugh and interact with the other children.  I then met with my supervisor to talk about a helping them take pictures of the facility and staff so they can show case the services Nomzamo offers. 

Shortly thereafter one of my favorite staff members stopped by with a broken wrist and to let us know that she needed to have surgery the next day.  It was really sad for me to say goodbye knowing she would no longer be there.  Muriel is such a kind woman who truly loves the children and she and I really connected.  After I said goodbye I met back up with the remaining staff and took some staff pictures and then moved on to the children.  They LOVE having their picture taken.  Unfortunately they are Xhosa speaking so I often need help translating to them in the process.  The minute they see the camera they start yelling, pushing and running up to me and the lense.  There is no such thing as stand back and smile…only full speed ahead.  They also love to jump in to each others pictures so there is minimal opportunity even with staff help to take individual pictures of the children.  None the less they loved it and then start yelling and laughing when I show them their picture on the review screen.  Simply adorable little ones…I know that leaving them is going to be really difficult.  I actually started tearing up today as I was getting ready to leave just thinking about the fact that I only have 2 days remaining with them.  On a positive note we are going to have a tea party as a farewell on Tuesday and I am bringing a dessert for them to share.  If anyone has any fun ideas please pass them on! 

After volunteering we went back to the Kirstenbosch Gardens and walked around.  The grounds are massive and it is impossible to get through the entire garden in one day.  It was very peaceful and relaxing and we were in awe of all of the amazing scenery and nature that was surrounding us.  After dinner we took a little adventure into our neighborhood downtown of Rondebosch to pick up a few things and eat some ice cream at a fabulous place called Marcel’s!!  Best soft serve in Cape Town!! 

We also had our last Xhosa class with Arthur.  He and Lihle came and he talked about how our group was one of the most enthusiastic groups he had ever taught which is why he extended our class an extra week.  He is such a kind man who really taught us a lot about the language and culture.  It was sad to see it over and I really wish we could have had more time to have language multiple times a week.  We spoke today a lot about cultural traditions and I can share more with all of you when I get back but it was incredibly interesting!  Well…off to bed!  I have another fun and exciting day tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. That ice cream sounds yummy!! You know me and my love for ice cream :D

    ReplyDelete