Here is my way of sharing with all of you the journey I am embarking on in South Africa! None of it would have been possible without the love and support of so many family and friends. I thank you a million times over for making this dream a reality, being a vital part of this chapter of my life and hope you enjoy reading all about this incredible adventure. I carry a little piece of each of you in my heart on this journey of a lifetime!!

Monday, January 24, 2011

And we are off…

Thankfully I got the green light from the Dr. that I could continue on with our one weekend excursion while we are here (provided that I slept in the car, avoided cardio workouts or hiking and drank plenty of fluids).  It’s weird to think that my current roommate is leaving tomorrow and heading back to the United States.  When I come back I will have my own room for 2 weeks.  We departed shortly after lunch for the Garden Route which is east of Cape Town and follows the coastline east towards Port Elizabeth.  Even though I slept quite a bit the drive was beautiful.  It has everything in terms of landscape along the drive that you could imagine.  Mountain ranges, ocean view, cliffs, flat lands, farms…you name it, we saw it!  It is several hours drive away but we stopped at the point where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet and I put my feet in the Indian Ocean which was much warmer than in Cape Town’s Atlantic Ocean.  We ate at a restaurant right on the ocean and moved on after that a few hours more to our lodging in Wilderness. 

We stayed at the Faire Knowe Backerpackers Lodge which is like a hostel and it was right in the middle of the mountain range.  It was quaint and beautiful.  Here is the link if you want to see where I stayed.  http://www.wildernessbackpackers.com/  Since we arrived pretty late at night I settled in and went right off to sleep attempting not to keep my 5 other roomies up all night with my crazy coughing.  They were all fabulous and super supportive even though I have a pretty persistent cough.  Here’s to a great Saturday to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment