Here is my way of sharing with all of you the journey I am embarking on in South Africa! None of it would have been possible without the love and support of so many family and friends. I thank you a million times over for making this dream a reality, being a vital part of this chapter of my life and hope you enjoy reading all about this incredible adventure. I carry a little piece of each of you in my heart on this journey of a lifetime!!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Orientation and Getting Settled…

Although I did not see the game I did find out that the Packers made me proud in Cape Town by winning today!  After our first nights sleep and trying to get acclimated to my new routine for the next 5 weeks we began orientation on our life, volunteering and the program in Cape Town.  We were welcomed by the staff with a Braai luncheon which is the equivalent of a BBQ back in the states.  The staff even made us some traditional South African dishes which were so good.  I asked if they would give me cooking classes while I am here and they agreed.  They even said I could cook a dessert while I am here and asked me for my recipes!  We ate in the backyard of the house that has beautiful landscaping and trees.  It is so private and relaxing that you feel as if you are in a botanical garden right here at the home base.  After lunch we went on a tour of Cape Town and some of the most well known landmarks in Cape Town.  It was very different from our limited view of the local townships that we saw as we were heading to the home base. 

We traveled throughout the downtown area and past areas that might be viewed as more tourist like attractions.  We saw the place that Nelson Mandela gave a speech post Apartied.  We also saw a new movie being filmed that is rumored to have Haley Barry in it.  We went past many things including very high end hotels, homes, the only 6 star resort in all of South Africa called the One and The Only (Leonardo DiCaprio has stayed there) in addition to Cape Bay.  I also saw my share of Masarati’s, Ferrari’s and other crazy expensive sports cars.  It’s so hard to swallow coming from the townships and then to other parts of Cape Town and seeing such luxury.  Oprah even has a condo somewhere in the downtown area!  We saw lots of tourist attractions and the stadiums that were used for the recent World Cup.  We were taken to Table Bay and looked out at the ocean as well as Table Mountain, Lion’s Head and the 12 Apostles Mountain Ranges.  I was speechless seeing this beyond amazing landscape.  From many peoples perspective you could kind of think of it as South Africa’s Malibu, Orange County or even Palisades based on landscape, luxury and the ocean.  Oh and PS…the only Americanized restaurant chain I’ve seen so far are KFC’s!  Kind of funny that the Colonel made it all the way down here! 

When we returned we headed into our neighborhood and the surrounding area called Rondebosch.  There are lots of little stores, restaurants, grocery stores and bars.  We are very close to the University of Cape Town and are in a suburb.  We can walk there but do have strict rules.  After 5pm we can not use any public transportation.  At dusk we must always use the cabs that they suggest and we must never be alone after hours.  The neighborhood is very beautiful but they want to make sure we are safe and our house is gated and we have 24 hour security.  I feel very safe here and am just always aware of my surroundings…no different than what I would do in any other place I am living. 

Well…off to bed…I have lots more orientation in the morning.  Hope to hear from you and that life is well…where ever you all are right now!  Xoxo-M

No comments:

Post a Comment