Here is my way of sharing with all of you the journey I am embarking on in South Africa! None of it would have been possible without the love and support of so many family and friends. I thank you a million times over for making this dream a reality, being a vital part of this chapter of my life and hope you enjoy reading all about this incredible adventure. I carry a little piece of each of you in my heart on this journey of a lifetime!!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It’s not over until it’s over…


"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." — Shel Silverstein

Today was my last day at Namzamo for a while.  It made me sad to leave but I know that I have new people to meet and work with on Monday.  The babies and the children have been amazing to work with and are absolutely precious.  I will be a human jungle gym any day to get to play with them again.  To think of all the adversity they face and have to overcome…they still have the most beautiful smiles on their face when I see them in the morning.  Children are so resilient in many ways and I love getting to see them in the morning smiling and waving when I walk in to see them or when I do something that makes them laugh.  We had a coloring project today and they loved it.  Even the simple things like paper and crayons brighten their day.  One of the little girls loved it so much that she tried eating her crayon…slimy crayons don’t write nearly as well and she didn't like me fishing it out of her mouth either!  Although I’ve heard a lot of sad circumstances and stories this week about the obstacles in their lives…the affection, smiles and hugs gives me some hope that their lives have got to get better than what they have been.  It certainly won’t be easy but I truly hope they are given an opportunity in a loving environment to thrive like they deserve.   

So many things to think about and be grateful for...

1 comment:

  1. isnt it amazing what art can do? something as little as coloring can impact children in need! i hope my art therapy talents can help kids just like them!

    ReplyDelete